1. Wash the exterior: Power wash or hard hose wash the mildew and dirt off your home. This will give you a fresh clean starting surface and can also remove any loose paint. Allow to dry for 24-48 hours depending on your air quality.
2. Scrape of loose paint: Lay down drop cloths in your work area this will make paint chip clean up quick and easy! Use a hand held scraper and scrape off any loose paint.
3. Rough spots: Sand out any rough spots with a pad sander or a hand held sander.
4. Wood rot: Replace any boards with new boards.
5. Holes, Cracks, and Joints: Fill with wood putty and caulk any holes and cracks. Pay special attention around doors and windows, this can help prevent unwanted airflow.
6. Apply Coats: If you didn’t buy paint that has a primer and you have areas that are stained apply a primer before applying first and second coat. Apply top coats and second coats as needed.
Live in the Kansas City area and don’t have the time for DIY exterior home painting? We can help with that call today for your free estimate (816) 547-1885.